Conversion and renovation of "Haus zum Rothen Adler" ("House of the Red Eagle", 1831), Kirchgasse, Zurich, Switzerland, 2009–2010
The classicist building is located in the historic town center of Zurich and was built in 1830/31 by Hans Conrad Stadler. Designed as a family residence, it has been used as the headquarters of the OPO Foundation since the 1950s.
In cooperation with the Department for the Preservation of Historical Monuments, the existing spatial structure is taken over and a new contemporary infrastructure is installed with selective interventions. The rich detailing of the rooms with original parquet floors, woodwork in characteristic colours, lamps and wallpaper are combined with new materials and colours, which at the same time have their own uniqueness.
Kirchgasse 42, 8001 Zurich, Switzerland
Direct order 2009, planning and execution 2009–2010
OPO-Stiftung zur Förderung von Wissenschaft und Forschung – Foundation (for the Promotion of Science and Research), Zurich
Offices, meeting rooms, restoration of the listed building fabric inside
Architecture & project team
Patrick Gmür, Michael Geschwentner, Christa Baldinger