Continuous construction – cost-efficient and fast, thanks to prefabricated timber elements.
The extension of the Ahorn School, Zurich, Switzerland, 1997–1999
Two annex buildings with four classrooms and a crafts room dock to the staircases of the school house built in 1953, and, together with the heritage-protected pavilion buildings, lead to a densification of the open space situation. The wooden formwork and the colouring borrowed from the old building create a direct link to the existing building fabric.
Like traditional school parlours, the classrooms are clad with elaborate carpentry.
By including the existing access system and the use of prefabricated timber frame elements, we reduced the costs significantly and shortened the construction time. The school continued to operate for the entire duration of the construction work.
12/14 Luegislandstrasse, 8051 Zurich, Switzerland
Study commission by invitation 1996, realisation 1997–1999
City of Zurich, Department for Building Constructions
Architecture and project team
Michael Geschwentner, Patrick Gmür, Mila Milosavljevic, Peter Roesch
Award for Good Buildings in the Canton of Zurich 2001
Award for Good Buildings in the City of Zurich 1995–2001